Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Misc. thoughts of Japan thus far

So I thought I'd put down some interesting things I've noticed since I've been here.

1. Tokyo is the most expensive place to live in the world. A standard haircut for a male here is about $40. I've seen several Ferrari's, a few Lamborghini's and countless BMW's and Mercedes here.

2. All women wear some sort of heeled shoes, some very high heels. They are usually the slip on open-toed type. As you walk down the street all you hear is "clip clop clip clop".

3. I was skeptical at first, but bidets are actually kind of cool. They really should get these in the States. It would definitely save on toilet paper.

4. People dress very plainly here. Lots of white and black and grey clothing. Almost all men wear white shirts and ties or dark suits to work in the morning. They do spice it up a little more on the weekends.

5. A lot of things are in English and Japanese. On the subways, all automated announcements are done in Japanese first and then in English. Makes it nice.

6. The Japanese drink an absurd amount of tea. Probably as much as Americans drink soda pop. The popular soft drinks here are Coke and Fanta Grape. No Pepsi.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding item 3. - see some notes a friend of mine made during his journeys in South America.
http://packbacker.blogspot.com/2005/05/bidet-disciple-note-this-post-has-been.html

Anonymous said...

Oops, the link got cut off. Combine the following 2 lines:

http://packbacker.blogspot.com/2005/05/
bidet-disciple-note-this-post-has-been.html