Thursday, August 24, 2006

Projects, projects, projects

Here's some of the latest projects we've been working on at the home. We decided to put in a little connection sidewalk between the driveway and the front door. Now people can park in our driveway and not have to walk across the dirt. The ground sure was hard though. I had to use a pick to dig it down 4 inches so that they cement guys could form it up and pour it. As you can see, our driveway is quite a bit higher than the existing sidewalk. They had some left over cement and decided to pour a little patch between the main sidewalk and the street curb (through our park strip) so that people coming from the road wouldn't have to walk across the grass that is there (I mean will be there).
I thought that after I finished the bonus room that I'd be able to relax a little, but there's something inside of me that can't sit still when I know there are projects to complete. I started to finish a study in our basement. For those who have been to our home, in order to get to our theater room, you have to walk through a small section of unfinished basement. It's about a 13' x 15' room that is mostly framed except for a few walls. Never having framed before, I did some research online and looked at a few homes in the area under construction and then dove right in. Building out this one wall wasn't too bad and the kids loved watching me hammer nails (boy I wish I had a nail gun), and cut wood with the "loud" circular saw.
I have a neighbor that knows something about electricity and he came over and mapped out what I needed to do for rough electrical. I then did some more research and wired the whole room. Computers I understand. Electrical outlets I understand. But 3-way switches are foreign to me. Thank goodness for the Internet and some very helpful drawings. I wanted two switches to turn on the same light and after about 2 hours of messing with the connections and setting of the breaker a dozen or two times I finally got it working. I also successfully separated one circuit into two (before, one light switch turned on every light in the basement). I feel much more confident with electrical stuff now. And the outlets even work! I bought the insulation this week and the doors should arrive sometime in the next few days. Then it's onto the whole drywall, mud and tape routine, which I'm not looking forward too. The bonus room is still a little too fresh in my mind and muscles. Hopefully it will go quicker. Once we finish this room, we'll be done for a season. Mainly because we're quickly running out of money! I'm sure I'll find something to keep me busy though.

No comments: